More than half of 98 cops on Duterte’s drug list yet to submit to PNP investigation
More than half of the 98 police officers that President Rodrigo Duterte linked to the illegal drug trade have yet to submit to the investigation by the PNP Internal Affairs Service. Only 43 have so far been interviewed by the PNP-IAS. PNP spokesperson Senior Supt. Dionardo Carlos said those who would fail to present themselves face insubordination and absence without leave (AWOL) charges.
“Dapat within 24 hours dapat nakakapagbigay na sila ng paliwanag. Kapat umabot sila sa 11 araw e pwede pa silang kasuhan ng AWOL. Yung hindi pagsunod sa utos ng commander in chief is insubordination,” Carlos said in a press conference Wednesday. He said the police officers should report to PNP headquarters or their mother unit as ordered by Duterte over the weekend. “They don't have to be here sa IAS if they already reported to their mother units. The order of the President is to report to their mother units. We will hear their reasons kung bakit hindi pa sila nakakapagreport,” Carlos said. “Depende sa paliwanag ng mga tauhan na hindi nakacomply sa 24-hour deadline, probably yung iba nakadeploy kaya nadelay yung time to report to their supervising officer,” he added.
Carlos expects the number of those who surrendered to increase when the provincial and regional officers started giving reports on their personnel. He added that IAS has presence in different regions and provinces. “On going pa yung ginagawang investigation ng IAS. Madadagdagan po yan base sa report ng lower units," Carlos said. "We are collecting the reports from regional and provincial directors kasi ang instruction ng President is for the active PNP personnel to report to their mother unit. So they have to be physically accounted by their supervising officer,” he said. “Meron po tayong natatanggap na report na sila po ay nagrereport na sa kanilang supervising officers. Probably by tomorrow we will be able to see how many already surrendered,” Carlos said.
He said aside from active PNP personnel, also included on the list in the possession of the Directorate for Personnel and Records Management were retired personnel and jail and fire officers. He said they should report to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group as they were not under the jurisdiction of IAS. Those who went to the PNP headquarters Monday morning are at the holding unit where they are undergoing the second wave of questioning. “Ni-recommend na ilagay sila sa holding unit para mabigyan ng pagkakataon, enough time to answer, give statement, masagot ang gagawing investigation ng IAS as to whether they were involved or not,” Carlos said. He said another recommendation is to disarm the police officers named by Duterte not only of their service firearm but also their privately-owned guns.
“Ang isang recommendation ay maalis ang privilege na sila makahawak ng kanilang privately-owned firearms so yung sa atin naman irerecommend po na for the meantime na sila ay humaharap sa investigation ay matanggal yung kanilang privilege na humawak ng kanilang service or privately-owned firearms,” he said. Carlos also said the Police Security and Protection Group has recalled the six security details on three personalities also tagged by Duterte. He said the six will be undergoing debriefing to get information on the activities of the three personalities. “Ito pong mga nirecall they will undergo debriefing to give information and to be able to get the details against these personalities mentioned by the President,” he said.