Duterte announce troops: Be prepare to fight vs. ISIS-style terror groups in 2-3 years
President Rodrigo Duterte said the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) may have to prepare to fight against Islamic State-style in the country in two to three years.
“Just in case talagang we’ll have terrorism but just about — prepare for that two to three years from now. ‘Yung ISIS pati ‘yung style of you know — because we have to deal with the Abu Sayyaf one of these days,” he said in a speech delivered in Camp Gen. Macario B. Peralta Jr. in Jamindan, Capiz on Friday afternoon.
“We have to end this mindless thing of brutalism, and ISIS ‘yan eh. At tsaka ‘yang ISIS wala na ‘yang partido, walang ideology. Wala na ‘yan. Basta ‘yan lang ang kanilang gusto, patay,” he added. The AFP has downplayed reports of ISIS influence in Mindanao, even as groups such as the Abu Sayyaf have supposedly pledged its allegiance to the militant movement.
Earlier this week, Duterte said he will not hold peace talks with the Abu Sayyaf, calling them criminals. Duterte said he will not allow troops to fight threats unless he is sure that the military has an advantage.
“But when I feel that it would result in a considerable loss, I would just bide my time. Only when we are ready, and we shall have acquired the equipment and I will buy it for you; only when I think that we are on the advantage, theoretically nasa taas tayo, kung baga sa ano ito, nandoon na tayo sa high ground, with the weapons, with the assets, papasok tayo,” he said.
“When we are prepared here, when I think that I have already in my hands the things that I would need to fight a war correctly and accurately, we will have to go there and fight. But before that, kailangan ko ‘yung mga bagay-bagay na to give you an edge. I will not order you to fight na disadvantaged,” he added. Duterte said he will use part of the $32 million in funds committed by the United States during State Secretary John Kerry's visit last month for buying new military equipment.